There is a threat of Escherichia coli in unbaked cookie dough. An investigation into a 2009 outbreak of E. coli said that ready-to-bake cookie dough, eaten raw, was the main reason for this. The CDC believes steps need to be taken to keep it from happening again. The CDC is urging companies to add a warning message, either in commercials or on packaging, to unbaked cookie dough. Officials tried to find the source of these outbreaks and it was linked to the sugar and fat in the cookie dough. It was in the year 2009 that such a case had come up, where there was an outbreak of the E. Coli disease and it had caused about 77 people to land up in hospitals with severe infection from the disease. This had led to calling off about 3.6 million packs of dough from the markets!
Nestle’s U.S. baking division said that it was voluntarily recalling its Toll House refrigerated cookie dough products after the U.S. Food and Drug Administration warned of the risk of contamination with E. coli bacteria. Its not easy to determine which of the ingredients, or what part of the manufacturing process, led to the contamination of the cookie dough, but it’s possible that flour could be to blame because it goes through much less processing compared to other ingredients.
This is a warning to think before taking a bite of that delicious unbaked cookie dough!