Coca Cola Co. Enviornmentally Friendly?

The Coca-Cola Company is the world’s largest beverage company, with more than 500 sparkling and still brands. Through the world’s largest beverage distribution system, consumers in more than 200 countries enjoy Coca-Cola beverages at a rate of 1.7 billion servings a day.

The Coca-Cola Co. has announced multi-million dollar partnership agreements with three biotechnology companies-Virent, Gevo, and Avantium. These three companies are industry leaders in developing plant-based alternatives to materials traditionally made from fossil fuels and other non-renewable resources. This plant bottle is the first generation PlantBottle package, which was the first ever recyclable PET beverage bottle made partially from plants. Since introduced in 2009, the company has already distributed more than 10 billion PlantBottle packages in 20 countries worldwide. PlantBottle™ packaging is made up of two components: MEG (mono-ethylene glycol), which makes up 30% of the PET, and is already made from plant materials, and PTA (purified terephthalic acid), which makes up the other 70%.

It is estimated the use of PlantBottle packaging in the first two years alone has helped save the equivalent annual emissions of more than 100,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide. Coca-Cola will continue to make investments in PlantBottle technology and aims to use PlantBottle packaging for the company’s entire PET supply by 2020.

Should all beverage companies become environmental friendly? Is this a new beginning to help save our earth?

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s