February is National Heart Health Month. Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United States. Over one quarter of deaths are from heart disease. You have a greater risk of heart disease if you are a man over age 45 or a woman over age 55. CDC provides tips for preventing heart disease.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables
- Use salt in moderation
- Monitor your weight to make sure you’re at a “healthy” weight
- Exercise at least 30 minutes 3 times a week
- Don’t smoke. If you smoke, consider quitting
- Consume alcohol in moderation
- Have your blood pressure checked on a regular basis