By some estimates, the Super Bowl is one of the biggest feasting events in the United States (second only to Thanksgiving dinner) and accounts for $55 million in food and beverage purchases.
Here are some statistics for you:
- Almost 15,000 tons of chips and 4,000 tons of popcorn are consumed
- Twice the average daily amount of snack foods are consumed, about 30.4 million pounds
- Some 12 million pounds of avocado are sold in preparation for the game so Americans may gorge themselves on an estimated 8 million pounds of guacamole
- Sales of flavored snack crackers increase 68 percent
- Sales of frozen breaded mushrooms increase 36 percent prior to the Super Bowl
- Sales of processed cheese loaves increase 30 percent the week before the Super Bowl
- Sales of frozen shrimp increase 29 percent
- There is $237.2 million spent on soft drinks at grocery stores during Super Bowl week
- There is an additional $11.8 million spent in sales of beer
- Frozen pizza is the top Super Bowl seller at grocery stores
Did you eat too much on Super Bowl Sunday? What are some of your ideas of eating less?
For more information: http://www.albertleatribune.com/2013/02/02/mayo-dietitian-warns-against-excess-snacking/