If you haven’t already read Get The Sugar Out by Ann Louise Gittleman, MS, CNS — I suggest you do! Here are 10 great tips she gives on eliminating sugar in your diet.
1. Stop adding sugar to your foods like cereals and fruits as well as drinks like tea and coffee! Keep it out of sight to avoid being tempted by it.
2. Refined carbohydrates like white rice, white bread, and white pasta are covered with sugar. Stick to whole grain carbohydrates to help eliminate sugar.
3. Poultry, meat, fish, and eggs are SUGAR free. Legumes, grains, nuts, vegetables, and fruits may have natural occurring sugars but they are all full of nutrients and fiber to help balance blood sugar.
4. Dilute concentrated sweeteners like honey with water or mix sweeter foods like granola with plain cereals and nuts.
5. Fat-free foods aren’t always the best. Sometimes there is two or more times more sugar found in fat-free foods than regular versions of food.
6. Always go for unprocessed. The more natural, the better. For example, choose an orange over orange juice, and an apple over applesauce.
7. Pay attention to food labels. Look at how many grams of sugar are listed on the food label as well as the ingredients!
8. Remember, your tastes can change. Eating a high sugar diet can result in nutrient deficiencies. Stick to lowering your sugar, your body and mind will thank you in the long run!
9. Stabilize your blood sugar by listening to your body. Keep a diary and see when your body is trying to tell you something after eating a certain food.
10. Always aim for balanced meals. You will have better energy, moods, and be able to focus more clearly without the temptation of sugar around!