Are you looking to keep the weight off, but yet enjoy summer snacks during the heat? Here are some healthy options to choose from..
- Smoothie: Aim for adding fresh fruit, ice, and non-fat yogurt if needed. Some places use ice cream or full-fat yogurt or add whole milk and high-sugar fruit juice, so make sure to ask or simply, make your own!
- Iced coffee: While the coffee itself isn’t high in calories, everything added to it can quickly turn into a high calorie beverage! Save calories by opting for low-fat milk, skipping the whip cream and choosing the smallest size.
- Frozen Yogurt: The new trendy, frozen yogurt places opening up can quickly add up to a high calorie treat! In order to keep it healthy– aim for low-fat yogurts and stick with healthier toppings like a variety of fruits or nuts.
- Frozen fruit bars: You can buy these in a grocery store. They are a quick, already portioned, frozen treat that are about 70 calories each and aren’t too high in sugar!
- Frozen grapes: If you haven’t tried freezing your grapes before, I suggest you give it a try! This is definitely a refreshing, healthy snack on a hot day!
- Frozen banana bites dipped in chocolate: Craving chocolate and you like bananas? This is a perfect summer snack for everyone! Just be sure to watch your portions.
- Grilled Pineapple: An easy recipe with only 4 ingredients: 1 20-oz can of Pineapple chunks in pineapple juice, 3 bananas, 1 lemon, and 7 skewers you can make 7 servings of a delicious treat! Instructions: Drain pineapple and slice bananas into small pieces (the same size as the pineapple). Stick pieces onto skewers and place on a plate. Squeeze lemon juice over the sticks, cover, and store in refrigerator until ready to grill. Grill at medium heat, turning every 2 minutes until slightly charred (5-7 minutes). Dust with cinnamon and enjoy! Can be served hot or room temperature.
- Snap Peas and Warm Goat Cheese: An easy snack with only 2 ingredients: 10 snap peas and 1 oz. of goat cheese. Instructions: Melt goat cheese in microwave for 10 seconds. Be careful not to overheat because the cheese will separate. Dip snap peas in goat cheese one at a time and enjoy! You can also use this warm dip with celery, carrots, and pretty much any veggie imaginable!
- Mango Parfait: Top plain Greek yogurt with chunks of fresh mango and a couple of tablespoons of granola.
- Strawberry Cheesecake Bites: Cut out the leaves and stems of 20 strawberries and fill each berry with the cream cheese mixture. Then, roll the tops of the berries in Graham cracker crumbs.
What are some of your favorite summer time treats?