We all want fast results to keep us motivated on the right path. But guess what?! The smaller the steps we take, the more likely we are to stick to a healthy lifestyle. Make a small goal each week to keep you motivated!
1. Increase your exercise a little each day. If you’re completely sedentary, start making small changes such as taking the dog for a 20 minute walk, or walking up and down the stairs for 15 minutes!
2. Start smiling more. Be happy with yourself going toward a new healthy lifestyle and all the small accomplishes you make each week! Your positive energy will make others around you happy as well!
3. Add more fruits and vegetables to your diet. Each added daily portion of these fiber rich foods lowers your risk of stroke, heart disease, and cancer. Start small and you will feel the difference!
4. Cut back on salty foods. A lot of us don’t realize how much salt processed foods contain. Slowly cut back on processed foods and switch over to FRESH foods to lower your blood pressure and have more energy!
5. Incorporate healthy fats into your diet. Replace saturated fats like butter with corn, sunflower, or safflower oil. But remember to watch your portion sizes because 2 tablespoons will be just fine! Healthy fats will lower your LDL cholesterol and chances of heart disease.
6. Say no to soda and other sugary beverages. If you drink one less soda a day, you will be saving 240 calories and this will help you lose weight! Save your calories for nutrient-dense foods and make soda a TREAT in moderation. Remember water is the only beverage our bodies need to survive. Even if you think this is an impossible task, believe in yourself– you can get there!!
7. Put down your phone, computer, and turn off that T.V. at night! Respect your body and give it the rest it needs to keep you well rested for tomorrow! Each night, go to sleep a few minutes earlier until you’re at your target sleeping pattern!
8. Watch your portion sizes. Instead of going for a super-size, go for a super food! Eat less with nutritious foods rather than eating more with junk food.
9. Cut back on sugar, eat more natural foods. The more natural you eat, the less sugar you will consume. Take small steps to cutting back on one sugary snack each day. It will be hard at first, but you can do it if you keep your mind to it!
Photo credit: www.quoteswave.com
Looking for ways to control your metabolism? Here are some simple tips to keep your metabolism going!
For more information: http://greatist.com/health/11-scientifically-proven-ways-boost-metabolism
A simple reminder to just keep things simple! 🙂
“If you don’t take care of your health today, you will be forced to take care of your illness tomorrow.” Deepak Chopra
Take these simple steps to help you make time for your health:
For more information: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/01/6-tips-for-healthy-living_n_2058525.html#slide=1710894 Keri Gans, MS, RD, CDN